- Blue crabs scuttle through soft mud and sand.
- Sea gulls white against green sea, blue sky.
- White and gold clouds aloft and on the horizon.
- A tiny silver plane, far distant, leaves a straight,
- pink vapor trail.
- Three gray and black porpoises play and fish in the
- waters just past the surf.
- Almost black wall of turbulent cloud
- rolls in low from the southeast,
nearly opposite the sunset.
- Big storm coming. The wind picks up.
- Birds fly in place, their feathers
- pulled this way and that in the gusts.
- A honey-colored horse gallops back and forth
- in a wide fenced field near the airstrip,
his red mane flying like a flag, eyes wild,
- Bright flash. Nearby explosion. A burning tree
- crashes down.
- I call the dog. She doesn't want to come,
- reluctant to yield such drama.
- Time to go in.
- I rub her down with an old towel and she
- shakes extra drops around, her tongue hanging,
big grin on her face.
- The house shakes. Another flash and boom.
- The lights go out.