Applying simple math can work wonders for one's net worth. If a person merely gets an 8% annual price gain on investments that also pay 2% overall in yearly dividends and then increases the nest egg by a further 10% each 12 months, i.e. less than $200 a week on a starting portfolio of $100,000, reinvests everything, and preserves the results via tax-deferred accounts, he or she will increase the holdings by a not too shabby 20% in the average year, enough to double one's money around every four years.
Easy arithmetic shows us as well that in 20 years that $100,000 initial portfolio would become nearly $4,000,000, in 40, well over $100,000,000. All this is without having to be a good stock picker. A single fairly low risk mutual fund will do nicely. The trick is coming up each year with that 10% of an ever ballooning principal. (Also, sooner or later one will likely have to pay Uncle Sam.) Yet, for the first several hundred thousand it might not be that hard. 10% of $250,000 would be a hefty $25,000 a year of new investing, of course, but on a weekly basis that's still only $481, often doable for a two-income family.